Sunday, March 13, 2011

Favorite, or most meaningful photos

These are some pictures selected by team members as among their favorites.  This blog is full of information regarding what we did and what happened while we were in Haiti.  These pictures show a little bit of "what happened to us in Haiti".

Dee
The children, so eager to be with us, and so fearless.
Dee
Good times, new friends, an awareness of the grand breadth of the "Body of Christ"
Gregg
50% literacy rate, 70% unemployment - Haitians work hard to survive.
Gregg
Eager Haitian men, delighted to have a day's work, working alongside us.

Kathy

The only thought that comes to me is both images seem to be asking………..
Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?”
   (what is left of it)   Mary Oliver
Kathy
Paul
We went to Haiti to build a church and built beautiful relationships with the wonderful Haitian people. This first picture shows Don with some Haitian children. The girl in the foreground is looking off into the distance but has her hand on Don’s leg wanting the closeness and security and comfort of being close to him. We felt this kind of easy closeness with the Haitian people all week long.
Paul
The second picture shows some of the Haitian work crew the afternoon of our last work day at La Tremblay.   I had brought a University of Montana Football hat and one of the workers wore it.  Before we left I had the interpreter tell him that I went to that school and asked if I could take his picture.  The reaction I got is more than I ever could have asked for.
We had several people who were really good with the children but I do not have the free spirit to play. Play is a hard thing for me to do. What I really wanted to do was build a relationship with the men I worked with.  I wanted to show them that I would stand with them on whatever needed to be done, to take my turn on the sledgehammer.  I didn’t just give them water;  I shared a water bottle with the men I respected.  Saying good-bye that day was an extremely emotional time. They asked if we were coming back the next day.  They were sincerely sorry to hear that we were not.  Even though they knew that another team would be coming to continue work, we had built a bond of companionship and respect that men develop by working hard together for a common goal.  I think about this every day and the depth of a relationship I had with men that I did not share a language with except that of being brothers and sisters in Christ.
God bless the people of Haiti.
Wendy

Wendy
We felt welcomed by the entire community.  They were happy that we came to work and visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment