Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Mid-Week Report from One of the Texans

Overall, such a profound experience. It's very humbling to see the poverty and the hardships that face the Haitian people. Interestingly, the commute to and from the worksite is some of the most revealing and eye-opening times. My heart aches but then as we interact with the children at the worksite, my heart is lifted up. A highlight was going around the neighborhood with children, doing the hokey-pokey during lunch on Tuesday.

Evening devotionals have been meaningful for me as the team shares its thoughts and experiences. What a gift to share this with folks I didn't know before this trip but am getting to know so well in a short time and in a very different and foreign environment. We have that one bond that can never be broken - in Him.

As with other mission trips that I've experienced, there is more to the trip than the work. Yes, it's exciting to be at the beginning stages of rebuilding a church for the area of La Tremblay. But, the interaction with the team and Haitians is so much more meaningful. I find that there are so many thoughts and feelings that I'm experiencing, I'm glad to have a journal and pictures to record them.

Finally, it's a big bummer that I lost my cell phone today. Not sure how, but I'm trying to remind myself that it's only a material thing and can easily be replaced. Yes, I feel lost without it, but maybe that's just another way that God is reminding me to focus on Him (i.e. passport book experience - maybe I'll explain that at a later date). God is good as we trust in Him each day.

No comments:

Post a Comment